Do you want to conduct a multilingual survey? In New Survey you can use the functionality Activate 'Multilingualism' as add-on package of the license. With With this functionality you can offer a survey in multiple languages and all analyze answers in the same database. You can leave respondents themselves choose in which language they want to complete the research or the preferred language for the invitation to the survey.
How does Multilingualism work?
To use the functionality, go through the following steps:
- Create research
- Add translation
- Adjust translation
- Optional: Set layouts
- Invite participants
- Optional: multilingual emails
- Analyze multilingual research data
- Go to 'Multilingualism' in the menu. Click on the 'Download' button under 'Export texts'. You are now downloading a CSV file containing the texts of the original capable of research.
- Place the translation in the desired language in the column next to the source language.
- After the translation, delete the column containing the source language. Save the translation as a CSV UTF-8 file so that all accents and other diacritics be stored properly.
- Go to 'Multilingualism' in the menu and add the translation as a CSV file in. Go through the import process.
- Note: you can also load multiple languages at the same time. Choose by translation the corresponding language.
- If the import went well, a green will appear at the top of the screen bar the text 'Translation saved'. You can also find it on the left from the screen an overview of your imported languages.
- You're done. The translation has now been added.
Do you want to correct a spelling mistake in a translation? Go to 'Research' in the menu and "Multilingualism". click on click behind the code to edit the translation. The adjustments in the translations are saved automatically.
In the menu, go to 'Research' and 'Multilingualism'. click on click behind the code to edit the translation. Under the 'Current' field language' you can select the desired layout under 'Current layout'. That's how you can display the desired house style per country.
You can invite participants to the questionnaire in several ways. This is depending on the study access settings*. You can choose a language assign to a participant or offer the choice of switching between languages by turn on the language switcher. To do this, go to 'Research' and 'Multilingualism' in the menu and check the option 'Show language switcher in questionnaire'. If this option is on the participant sees a button with which to switch between language variants from the home page.
- Participants known and language known
In the data enrichment file, add a column with the language of the participant. Based on this column, you can send emails in different languages. Make for this to an e-mail and attach the desired translations. Do you invite the respondents out in a different way? Then add &culture= after the URL. For example, if you uploaded an English translation share the link as follows: q.examplelink.com/codeonderzoek?priority=true&culture=EN.
You can also let participants choose a language themselves by turning on the language switcher to put.
- Participants known and language unknown
If you do not import a language column via the data enrichment, the participants will automatically come in the research in the source language. You can catch this by e-mail with the source language texts and translations.
Tip: if, for example, you include a Dutch and English text in an invitation e-mail you can access the English text in the link behind ##URL## add the &culture=EN parameter. With this, the participants go directly to the English version.
- Participants unknown
Do you invite participants via, for example, social media or an open link? Go then go to 'Research' and 'Multilingualism' in the menu and put the language switcher there at. The respondents can choose the desired language on the home page.
As the access setting of the survey on 'Only email addresses from list' or 'Participant enters email address you can send invitations by email. Follow the email management steps. To edit multilingual e-mails, choose in the new e-mail message at the field 'Language' the desired language. You can then send multilingual test emails per language send. The sender name can also be set separately for each message. The disclaimer with the unsubscribe link is automatically inserted in the correct language.
Analyzing data multilingual research
The data of all language versions can be found in one and the same result file. To do this, go to 'Download Center' in the menu and download the result file. The result file contains an extra column called 'Language'. Here you can see in which language the respondent completed the survey.