In this question type, respondents can enter an answer in an open text field. The open question (small) has the size of one line in which a maximum of 2500 characters can be entered. For example: "What do you think of our new Survey tool?"
On this page:
Add a Open Question (Small)
- Click in the menu on "Questions" and "Enter Questions".
- Choose "Open Question (Small)" and press the "Select" button.
- Fill in a "Question text".
- Choose the response type. You can choose from:
- Open: Participant can fill in a text field.
- Date: Participant can enter the date with numbers.
- Number: Participant can only enter numbers.
- Calendar: Participant will see a calendar where a date can be selected.
- Optional: The outer field allows you to add an answer outside the essay, such as "Don't know" or "N / A". At the field "Outside field jump" you can determine which next question the respondents who clicked on "N / A" will be referred to.
- Press the "Save" button.
The Open Question (Small) has the following question options:
You can switch between question types.
Here you can put a condition on the question. Read more about setting conditions.
Block question on return
If the respondent has pressed "next" the respondent cannot change the answer anymore.
Question on same page previous question
Show this question on the same page as the previous question.
If you want a respondent to continue automatically or stay on this question longer, you can use the timer.
For example, do you also want to give your respondent the option not to respond? Then enter a text (e.g. 'n.a.') in the outer field. This is an exclusive answer option.
At the field 'Buitenveld jump' you can determine which next question the respondents who clicked on 'n.a.' will be referred to.
Click on to add an image to the question. Make a choice from the available images in the MediaManager or upload your own image.
You can use the following options for the answers:
Jump: when this box has been filled , you can send the respondent to a different question than the next.
Selection of answer type.
More options: after clicking the more options icon the following functionalities are presented to you.
- Exclusive answer. Once this answer has been given, no other answers can be entered.
- Making the answer mandatory to fill in. This is only applicable with the answer type "open". The respondent is required to fill in an answer with at least 3 characters.
- Restriction. This is only applicable with the answer type "open". There can be a restriction put on a question such as a number range, a date range or a restriction for emails or postal codes.
- Selecting an enrichment variable.
- Definition. IIf the respondents hovers over the "i" for information, an explanation appears on the answer (maximum of 400 characters).
- Labels. You can also add the label per answer.
Check: boxes that allow multiple answers
Description: Displaying a text without allowing respondents to tick it
Number: Only a number can be entered
Calendar: Respondents can enter a date via a calendar
Memo: open text area the size of a long sentence.
Open: open text area with a size of 2 to 3 words
Story: open text area the size of a paragraph